Tricks & tips
-- Operating tricks & hints for quick but accurate logging
- It is common knowledge good hours are full of short and snappy QSOs.
- It is common knowledge contesters tell stories of the fast hours.
- To make this happen for the DX, the audience should play by some rules.
An example of a contact:
HQ: Oscar Hotel two Hotel Quebec,
Oscar Hotel two Hotel Quebec, Contest
A: Oscar Hotel two Alpha
HQ: Oscar hotel two Alpha five nine
sierra radio alpha lima
A: Thanks five nine one eight
HQ: Thanks Oscar Hotel two Hotel Quebec
LI: Oscar Hotel six Lima India ..
This is accurate and fast.
If the OH2A station would say 'Thanks five nine one eight seventythrees', the reliability of the contact would be severely compromised. OH2HQ would ask 'What is your zone' and OH2A would likely answer 'Five nine one eight, eighteen, one eight'. The extra discussion takes time as much as a full contact with OH6LI if the QSO is promptly excecuted. That means the OH2HQ rate might be compromised.
- If OH2HQ asks 'What is your zone', please answer your zone.
Saying: 'Oscar Hotel two Hotel Quebec five nine two eight two eight over' takes a lot of time and can be difficult if there is QRM. 'Two eight' is clear, prompt and accurate.
- If OH2HQ asks 'Please your prefix', say your prefix only, and you can say
your prefix two or three times. Please do not say your full call as
that can be misleading if the signal strength or there is QRN.
- There is a pileup situation, and OH2HQ says 'Tango Delta', and a stubborn Finn continues calling.
In this situation OH2HQ likely would like to hear DL3TD from the pileup, not the OH6LI who keeps on calling and giving QRM against Lothar getting his QSO with OH2HQ. I.e. OH6LI should silently wait for his turn and let the TD
have the QSO without disturbance.
- Scoring quickly means you should work stations giving more points
to you or if you are a casual operator in the contest, there is
more fun if you give points to stations you give more points to.
OH is in zone 18. In the IARU contest this means all central Europe and European Russia is three points. OM, OK, HB9, UX, UA3, UA6 are three points to OH2HQ.
UA3, UA6, UX are 1 point to R3HQ and OM, OK, HB9 are 1 point to DA0HQ.
This means operating OH2HQ gives a better score.